Sunday, March 27, 2011

dedication

I started this post awhile ago but then it got deleted and I'm just now getting back to it.

So, the dedication...

was lots of fun! my apologies to all who were invited super last minute and to those who didn't even get an invite. there were... some "communication errors" in the planning process and we didn't know that it was actually going to happen on that day until about a week before. we were aiming for that day because darren was home on spring break and evan was coming to visit too, but the invitations we would normally have extended to other out of town folks didn't happen. so my apologies.

anyways, I'll narrate through pictures...

blake (who is holding ethan), me, rev. scott mann, kaylee, and danielle.
I had just had my arm sliced open the day before (it's much better now btw, almost completely healed and tomorrow is my last day of antibiotics and therefore my last day of pump and dump) anyways, since my arm was not at its best, danielle held kaylee. (she's kaylee's godmother). scott mann (the pastor) is, besides being a pastor at our church, also a friend of ours. he likes nerd games like us, and we go over to his place or he comes to ours to play them. he knows danielle that way, and one summer Evan worked for Scott as his admin when Scott's prior admin went off to seminary.

A LOT of people came! Alyssa and her family came, including her grandparents who happened to be in town, a bunch of the church staff (my coworkers) came, one of the students I tutor and his family came, people from my HR Committee at church, etc etc.


during the ceremony itself.
Scott asked us (Blake and me) a few questions*:
Do you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?
Do you wish Kaylee and Ethan to be dedicated in Jesus' name?
Do you promise to live in Christian faith and to teach that faith to Kaylee and Ethan with the help of the Holy Spirit and the community of God's people? 
(we said yes)
Then he asked everyone there, "And do we, the community of faith and loving friends, promise to support Blake and Dana in their parenting, and to nurture Kaylee and Ethan as they grow to be the woman and man God intends?"
(everyone replied, "we do")

the handoff of Kaylee to Scott. then Danielle read Kaylee's life verse that she'd chosen:
The Lord your God is with you,
He is Mighty to Save.
He will take great delight in you,
He will quiet you with His Love,
And rejoice over you with singing.
Zephaniah 3:17

And then Ethan's turn. Amusingly, Scott called Evan "Ethan Caulley" and then corrected himself, but we got a good little giggle out of that. Ev read Ethan's life verse that he'd chosen:
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.
John 13:34-35
after that it was picture time!

right now however, it's tutoring time. sorry all my posts are truncated with abrupt endings like this, but I just figure it's better to post unedited, truncated, something, rather than never post anything because I never finish it.

* I have Scott's script here in front of me as I write this post. Plus I have a DVD of the ceremony which, if I could figure out how, I would post because it's only 5 mins long, but I'm not that smart. the point however, is that that's how I know what was said :)

anyways, off to tutor!

1 comment:

  1. You all look fabulous! Danielle is so pretty (as are you, Hot Mama!). Hope all is well. Glad your arm is feeling better. If you want to teach your children about the evils of gambling and hot, hot heat, bring em' down for a visit in a couple of months. ha ha jk Hope to see you soon though! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete