Tuesday, September 18, 2012

potty training

Sunday was kaylee's first accident-free day! we're talking the whole day, nap included. she wore a diaper for a big part of the day, but she never peed in it. she would tell us she had to pee, we'd take the diaper off, she'd pee, then put it back on. it was like undies, but with a built-in back up plan! (I realize this is the concept behind pull ups, but we have a lot of diapers left, so we're using them up before spending $ on pull-ups). then yesterday she had... I think 5 accidents. so we're not quite done potty training yet, but we'll take the good days when we can get them. Every day for nap time she gets to choose if she wants a diaper or undies, and she usually chooses a diaper. But when she chooses undies herself, she usually keeps them dry. I think the plan going forward is to put her in a diaper when she asks. This makes it low stress for her, and low stress for us. We'll take the next step sometime in the future, but for now we don't need to push it, and half undies half diapers seems to work for everyone.

Ethan on the other hand, continues to have this whole thing down. We have a little extra seat on the toilet in the kids' bathroom that makes the opening smaller, and Ethan even uses that. So that's pretty great, because there's no clean-up of any sort required! the other night he woke blake up three times (blake hears better than I do. I smell better (haha) but he hears better) and each time Ethan said he had to pee, and then did. but his diaper was completely dry each time and in the morning. So that surprised us. He hasn't done it since, but it was interesting. we'll wait till we have a few dry nights in a row to try night time potty training, but for day-time, he's pretty good!

other amusing things around our house are that we're beginning to learn some differences between boys and girls. when ethan pees we remind him to "point it down." well, actually, we don't have to remind him anymore. he sits there and verbally reminds himself. if he doesn't, kaylee reminds him. but whenever kaylee pees at the same time as ethan, she reminds herself to "point it down" too. it's hilarious. this morning when I told her she was a girl, and girls don't have to "point it down" she told me, "no, i'm a boy like e-e." and so it begins.

tomorrow you'll get a post about the puyallup fair. while potty training we haven't gone on as many adventures so there hasn't been as much to blog about, and I didn't think you really needed the potty training play-by-play. plus i've been busy and whatnot. but hopefully soon I'll bring you some more interesting posts with cute pictures and such! :)

1 comment:

  1. I think the most amusing part of this whole potty business is the differences between boys and girls. I like that you guys are learning it with the kids. I sat down to go potty the other day and Toby reminded me to "point my pee-pee down." I thought about making that a nice lesson about boys and girls, instead I just laughed hysterically.
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete