Thursday, May 19, 2011

kaylee signs milk

Yesterday and the day before Kaylee started signing milk. I took a little video of it below. In the first clip she was signing milk over and over while drinking her milk. but when I started filming she stopped of course. In the second clip she's fussy, and then gets distracted by Ethan. But you can see a few half-hearted signs in there.
Good ol' Ethan has given up on signing milk. Interestingly, my cousin just blogged this morning about her daughter signing. According to my cousin, it's "common when children are learning language to overgeneralize." This is not something I knew, but it is definitely something that Ethan did. His milk sign suddenly became "I want something" and we tried every time he signed it to give him milk, but this just frustrated him when it wasn't milk that he wanted. So now he's just stopped signing. Our response to this has mostly been, "oh well." Perhaps he'll be inspired by Kaylee and pick it up again. And speaking of miss kaylee, she has woken from her nap and would like some attention, so I gtg. Happy beautiful-weather-in-WA Thursday to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Oh interesting! I didn't know that about the language development, either. That makes so much sense, though, because M did the same with the milk sign whenever she wanted anything. She's done similar with a few of her words, too. Hmmm...

    But YAY for Kaylee signing! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete