According to our doc and a few other sources, the latest on feeding your kiddos real food is that they can start between 4-6 months of age and you can feed them anything (except honey) as long as it's mashed enough. no need to start with rice cereal, although of course, you can if you want. I actually think it's all a little silly and that nobody knows what they're talking about but hey, it seems fun, and ethan was showing signs of being interested in food (watching us eat etc), so why not? (the poop is one answer to why not, but oh well).
anyways, we thought it would be fun to give them their first food on christmas. but... then we later decided that would be more stressful than fun (fitting it into an already packed day) so we decided to go for Dec 26. I think Blake might have wanted to start them with rice cereal, but I wanted to give them something "fun" and unusual for their first food, and different foods for each of them. I first proposed giving them a spoonful of ice cream but blake was appalled by the idea. :D just a spoonful, then they could have more healthful things later... wouldn't it be fun later in life to say that your first food was ice cream? anyways, that didn't fly. then we found our winner of an idea. every year for christmas my family has "red and green soup." I think it's actually called fireworks rainbow soup, but we call it red and green soup. anyways, it's a red soup (maybe bell pepper based?) that's all blended up and smooth, and a green soup (spicy pea soup) that's also blended up and smooth, and then you pour the two soups side by side in a bowl. part of christmas dinner is then to add your creme fresh (white) and use your various utensils to make interesting art with your soup. but I digress. the point is: they're blended, christmas-y, and there are two of them so we could give each kiddo something similar but different as their first food. So... uh... you'll see how that went over in the video. next was prunes, then sweet potatoes (no pics of that, sorry), then bananas.
anyways, enjoy the video!
OMG that was darling! And I'm super impressed at Ethan's spoon skills. M still hasn't mastered feeding herself with a utensil and she's almost 15 months old. Ha!
ReplyDelete