Tuesday, June 28, 2011

goodbye milk

Be warned. This is a post about boobs and milk. Continue at your own risk.

goodbye milk. As I (think) I blogged about already, on June 10 I dropped from pumping 4x day to 3x day. One of my boobs is apparently offended by this. It's gone on strike and declared that if I don't love and appreciate all the milk it's given me thus far enough to pump 4x day, it just won't make any milk at all. Last night when I pumped, I got 20 drops from it. I counted them as I dripped them into the other bottle. 20 drops. I still have some fenugreek and blessed thistle (which are herb-pills that are supposed to increase your milk supply) and I'm taking those. I realize the end is near, and nearer than I'd hoped or expected, but as long as I've already bought the pills, why not take them?

My insurance stops paying for the pump on July 10. I think at that point I'll go down to pumping 2x day. Then, over the next month, I'll drop down to 1x day and then be done. I had originally planned to last a little longer, but I've given it a good fight, and given where I'm at now, it's just not worth pretending that a few ounces a day is really worth pumping for that much longer. So this is the beginning of the end. Goodbye pumping. I have hated you, but loved the benefit you darn well better be giving my kiddos.

1 comment:

  1. Uh oh, Dana. Your blog might be labeled porn now too!! :)
    I think you did great with all that pumping and hey, you made it this far!! Bummer about boobs on strike. (I have a funny book about cows on strike with milk that might be relevant in this situation).
    I hope your fenugreek helps you!! I always loved smelling like a pancake... not really. :)
    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete