Last Thursday (Feb 18, week 13)...
- after my dentist appt, and a full day of work, mom picked me up at MS (where I had to leave the car for blake) and we went to dinner. dinner was lovely, despite the fact I had to ask for my slider w/o bleu cheese. so sad.
- then we headed off to "Car Safe Kids." yep, a class about car seats, put on by one of the local hospitals. it was 2 hrs, and we thought, how could there be 2 hrs of car seat info? but there was.
- we learned about a lot of stuff (kids in booster seats until they're at least 8 years old!?) but I had to focus on the car seats for newborns because there was plenty of info there. basically there are two types, infant car seats and convertible car seats.
- the convertible car seat is awesome in that it lasts longer. whereas if you buy an infant car seat, it's pretty likely you'll have to switch to a convertible car seat later anyways, so you're buying a whole extra car seat (or two if you were, say, having twins). But... the infant car seat has some excellent features...
- infant car seats can interface w/ a travel system. ie the base stays in the car, but you unsnap them and carry them into the house, or unsnap from the base and re-snap into a stroller. sleeping baby stays asleep. also, because they unsnap, you can load them up inside your house from the front, then carry them down to the garage and just clip them in backwards. no awkward trying to get your baby into a rear-facing car seat.
- the biggest infant car seat selling point for me is, if I had convertible car seats and was home alone w/ both babies, what would I do with baby B while putting baby A in his/her car seat? w/ the infant car seat I can be inside w/ baby B in the crib or on the floor while I strap in baby A, then baby A can sit there for a smidgen while I strap in baby B and then I can carry them both down to the garage and snap them in to the car. so, while we haven't decide 100% on the infant car seats, that's the way we're currently leaning.
- the other lesson we learned was that most car seats are okay for babies down to 5 lbs. but twins, apparently, can be more like 4 lbs. if you have a 4 lb baby and car seats for 5+ lb babies, the hospital doesn't let you leave until hubby goes out and buys one for 4 lbs. so, while we hope our babies will be 5+lbs, might be wise to get one that goes to 4 lbs just in case... (and it seems like more infant car seats go to 4 lbs than convertible ones).
- there was lots more, seat belts vs the LATCH system, how to install them, etc etc, but I'm not thinking you really care so we'll skip that part.
saturday
- saturday was awesome. anybody around here has to agree. the weather was just so wonderful.
- I started off my morning by sleeping in. woke up around 10:00, around 10:15 I decided to check that my class started at 11:00 and was surprised to find out that whoops! it started at 10:30. but blake helped me gather my stuff quickly and I zipped out the door.
- what class are you taking Dana? you might ask. why, last week was my first week of holy prenatal yoga! what? you say. well, apparently one should consider yoga when pregnant. the local hospitals offer prenatal yoga classes, the books/internet and my doc say to check it out so I was aware of the idea. but it just wasn't that appealing to me to go take a yoga class all by myself (as blake prob wasn't invited to the prenatal yoga classes, nor were many of my friends!) but, our church offers a holy yoga class on monday mornings and a couple coworkers (before they knew I was prego) said we should go try it together. so I went, and I enjoyed it! we had to fill out a medical info sheet and I wrote "pregnant - shhh!" on mine. the next week the instructor pulled me aside and gave me a list of moves I should avoid, or how to alter them so they were prego-safe. she said she wanted me to check w/ my doc that it was okay, but since I was still early in my pregnancy, I could continue. and, she said, she was starting up a prenatal version of her holy yoga class. but, it wasn't at our church - it was in redmond, on saturdays. I was like, bingo! closer to home, that's awesome. then I asked my other friend erika if she wanted to join me and she said yes! plus it's only $8/class which is about half the price of most other prenatal classes we could find. so last week was the first week, and it was just me, erika, and one other lady and it was great.
- but that was not all to my day, oh no. by the time I got back, it was time for lunch, so blake and I walked to quiznos, got sandwiches to go, and then walked back along the trail to eat them on a park bench while people ran and biked and rollerbladed past. and what beautiful weather!
- then I took a nice nap...
- and then, becuase it was still beautiful out, we biked to redmond town center on our tandem. we had to get my watch battery replaced and so while we waited, the only thing to do was swing through the cupcake store (owned by a lady from church) and then go to borders and look at baby books.
- by the time we got back there was just a few minutes before jackie picked me up, we grabbed dinner at jamba juice, and then headed to b & d's for an anne of green gables, crafting, and yummy-thing-eating marathon (including those cookies I mentioned before - they were awesome as always!)
- now seriously, could you come up with a better day?
I was going to tell you about the plans mom and I have for tomorrow, but... they begin at 7:45 so it's almost bedtime now. alas, you shall have to wait (you're heartbroken, I know). and perhaps sometime I'll tell you about what's happening w/ the babies at week 14 (today!) but not now...
good night, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite!
my saturday was perfecto too!
ReplyDeleteglad to have introduced you to anne! If you get a girl baby we can start over with the miniseries so she grows up humming the songs!!!
anywho, glad you enjoyed the yummyness... and for the twins... i will bake anytime!